Thursday, September 4, 2008

Japanther "Wolfenswan"

My favorite band for the past few months has been this totally rad, two-piece extravaganza called Japanther. Usually I wouldn't post a band's most popular work here, but I can't help but post this. It's my favorite album of theirs and I think you'll like it too. It reminds me of spending long days in my room throughout the school year. If I had this album when it was released, I would have been spacing on my bed contemplating my days to the best.

Their sound is drum and bass, but with a twist. Their bassist has a heavily distorted bass guitar and the drummer plays fast and contagious beats. They usually play over a tape-recorded track that's blasted from a PA. Their microphones are typically those specially rigged telephones. (side note: here's a website that will show you how to make your own! http://www.instructables.com/id/Telephone-Handset-Microphone/) They play some of the best shows I've ever been to. Every one of their sets is unique from their last. They build so much crowd energy it's practically impossible not to start dancing. I saw them on my birthday and they sang happy birthday to me. Thanks to Japanther and everyone there, but their set was easily the best part of my day.

Okay, no more bullshit. here it is:



and if you have the change to scrap together to order a copy from Plan-it-x, I suggest you do. There's a nifty comic and lyric sheet stuffed inside.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5f0ornm7ajv

Favorite track is probably "Full Cup" or "Selfish Kids".

GOOD DAY SIR!

EDIT:
Okay fuck. I can't post about Japanther without telling the stories! Oh the stories!
Way back when I was in 12th grade, John Crodian, Dan Johnson and I embarked on an adventure to see the great and powerful This Bike is a Pipe Bomb! We got extremely stoned beforehand and drove to Swarthmore college to see what was up. In a state of confusion and drugged altered madness we wandered this elven campus in search of our heroes. We finally came across some kids who were living in a big stone house on campus who appeared to be just as high as we were. They informed us that this band called Japanther was playing and This Bike was not coming. This band called Japanther wears space helmets on stage and bangs shit around. Not knowing who Japanther was and Japanther sounding very scary we decided to get some pizza instead. The other stoned kids went to dunkin donuts and we went to the mall. What the fuck. WE WENT TO THE MALL? That's what we were thinking at the time. So we got out of there, but not after making John Crodian laugh for like an hour straight. And we drove back to West Chester blasting the Cramps declaring This Bike are a buncha flakes.

BUT THEN! I WENT TO TWO-PIECE FEST LAST WINTER! AND I SAW JAPANTHER! AND WE RAGED! AND IT WAS PHENOMENAL. AND I'VE SEEN THEM FOUR TIMES SINCE! AND NOW I WILL SEE THEM EVERY TIME THEY ARE IN PHILLY FROM THIS POINT ON IN MY LIFE! TIL I DIE! OR THEY BREAK UP THE BAND! HUZZAH!

No comments: