Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Geza X and the Mommymen "You Goddam Kids!"

NERD PUNKS!

Back at the desk wondering why I haven't posted Geza X yet. This is one of my very favorite West Coast punk albums from that era. Geza X was this producer guy from the west coast scene who gave the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag and the Germs their sortof "west coast hardcore" sound. At least in my opinion, he was one of the biggest parts of the scene.



So after helping DK put out "Holiday Inn: Cambodia", Jello decided to throw Geza's band a break and put out this epic compilation in 1981 called "Let Them Eat Jellybeans". If you had read American Hardcore (which I would definitely suggest checking out; either at your local library or just lifting it from B&N), then you would know that this compilation really spread the word about a lot of new hardcore bands for the first time, nationwide. Thank you, Alternative Tentacles. Geza and his Mommymen had "Isotope Soap" featured on the thing and well you get the picture.

Tens of Power Pals later, Geza X was now a household name... Except not at all. So in my testament for getting lesser known music out there, I will provide you with Geza X and the Mommymen's total miss: "You Goddam Kids!", released in 1982.



So this album is obviously very experimental in terms of what was going on at the time. Geza being a studio producer took advantage of a lot of studio sounds that aren't typical of hardcore bands at the time. More of an art punk band, "You Goddam Kids!" went in a more a strange direction. Some of the sounds are unsettlingly New Wave, but it's worth the listen. Maybe you will like it, but it took me a few months before I really got what they were aiming for sound-wise.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5chws5jln0x

Favorite song is most definitely "I Hate Punks". If I make you a mix, you will probably receive this track somewhere in the middle. Shit, I guess I can't do that anymore.

No comments: