Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Fall "This Nation's Saving Grace" (1985)

Taking their name from Camus' novel by the same title, The Fall were a huge part of the post-punk scene of the 70s and 80s that, for the most part, are largely looked over by most, I would imagine. It took me until last year to finally get my hands on This Nation's Saving Grace and I have never stopped enjoying it. Similar in ways to Joy Division, Big Black, Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, and Sonic Youth.



The Fall's music is often characterised by repetition, an abrasive guitar-driven sound, and is always underpinned by [Mark E. Smith's] vocals and often cryptic lyrics, described by critic Steve Huey as "abstract poetry filled with complicated wordplay, bone-dry wit, cutting social observations, and general misanthropy (sometimes more implied than clearly stated, but apparent nonetheless)."

The upload was over 100mbs and mediafire forces me to break it down for you, but it's all here, I assure you:

The Fall "This Nation's Saving Grace" (Pt1-Tracks 1-13)
http://www.mediafire.com/?qdtjjj2zhfw


The Fall "This Nation's Saving Grace" (Pt2-Tracks 14-16)
http://www.mediafire.com/?yunzzfzmnkz


Favorite tracks are "My New House" (one of my favorite songs, regardless), "I Am Damo Suzuki", "Cruiser's Creek", "What You Need", and "Bombast".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I've never heard the expanded CD version, just the original vinyl running order. Thank you =)