Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Ergs! "Upstairs/Downstairs" (2007)



The Ergs! are probably my next favorite band out of Jersey after the Misfits. If pop-punk's your thing at all and you're not listening to the Ergs! you've been missing out. Unfortunately they broke up sometime last year, but luckily I got to see them before then. One of my favorite live bands of all time and I will definitely be at their show if they ever get back together.



I could listen to this album 300 times before it gets old. No scratch that, it doesn't get old. It's pure and mighty amongst my powerpop/pop-punk collection and I wouldn't be able to deal without it on most days. "Books About Miles Davis" is the spearhead of this album and somehow gets me every time I hear it. Songs about girls and failed relationships and all the shit that goes along with it. The Ergs! are gonna help you deal with it, dude. Lyrically, their songs stand apart from typical pop songs as not coming off as trite or reused. They've got a new perspective and a badass rhythm section to go along with it. Did I mention Mikey Erg plays the drums and sings at the same time?; A marvel feat at the least. If you end up liking this album, do yourself a favor and get Jersey's Best Prancers. You won't be disappointed.

The Ergs! "Books About Miles Davis":

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnadznedjjy

Favorite tracks are "Boston, Mass.", "Clocks, Clocks", "Bike Shoppe", "Books About Miles Davis" and "Trouble in River City".



A BIG OL' POP PUNK PS.: Just announced, THE SCREECHING WEASEL will be playing ONE show and ONE show only on the East Coast at the Trocadero Theater in Philadelphia on April 23rd of 2010. The following night The Riverdales are going to play a show at the First Unitarian Church, April 24th. Tickets go on sale tomorrow by R5Productions. Hell yeah!

No comments: